• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retired Nurse Reflects on 57 Years of Service, Seeks New Purpose

Doreen Lewis, a dedicated nurse from Shepton Mallet, Somerset, has retired after an impressive 57 years of service with the NHS. Beginning her career in 1967, Ms. Lewis became a pillar of healthcare, especially during the front lines of the Covid-19 pandemic.

In August, Ms. Lewis retired, marking the end of an era with a prestigious silver award from NHS England in recognition of her outstanding contributions to nursing. Reflecting on her transition, she shared, "Retirement has been a bit of a shock. I've got to find some other purpose in life."

Her nursing journey was far from straightforward, marked by numerous challenges and significant moments. "It was a very challenging career, but I enjoyed it and met amazing people along the way," Ms. Lewis recalled. Her experience spanned emergency care across hospitals in Bristol and Bath, where she found deep fulfillment in helping others, especially during the pandemic. "We saw a lot of unwell people. We’d see people in the car park and get them in the back way so they wouldn’t infect others. It was rewarding—we were playing our parts. It was routine, just another thing to overcome."

Ms. Lewis's career also included working through other major health crises, such as the Ebola outbreak and avian flu. "It's one of those things," she said, reflecting on her extensive experience in crisis care.

The silver award, presented by NHS England, honors nurses and midwives who demonstrate excellence in clinical practice, education, research, leadership, and tackling diversity and health inequalities. Ms. Lewis was nominated for this award by her team, a gesture that came as a delightful surprise. "The award was an absolute surprise. I didn't expect it," she admitted.

As she steps into retirement, Ms. Lewis is adjusting to a new pace of life. "I think it’ll take quite a bit of getting used to—I don’t have to get up quite so early in the morning," she remarked with a smile. She has taken up golf and is considering volunteering but plans to first take a few months to reconnect with old friends.